Monday, July 25, 2011

Darn MothBalls

Remember the days when you would visit your grandparents house and when you would go to put your clothes in the dresser things just didn't smell right?  I chalked it up to my grandparents just smelled funny.  Back then I thought most old people smelled funny.  Well, I eventually learned that they (old people) would put mothballs in their dresser drawers to keep insects from eating their clothes.  I never really thought much about it until I became an Entomologist and began working and supporting Integrated Pest Management.  Mothballs are dangerous.  They release a toxic gas which fills the drawer killing pests and gets inhaled by us.

The National Pesticide Information Center has some really important information concerning the dangers and proper uses of mothballs.  Please take a look and be aware.

http://npic.orst.edu/ingred/ptype/mothball/index.html

http://www.longislandpress.com/2010/11/23/epa-warns-against-use-of-mothballs-that-look-like-candy/

No comments:

Post a Comment